Tuesday 5 October 2010

3D day!

Today was my first animation lesson, and it involves lots of 3D! I've never really taken to 3D, I don't know why, but it's never clicked with me like other mediums. Our project brief is simple: Make a TV Ident. For those of you not in the know, an Ident is this type of this:



Simple! Now to think of something....

Anyway. Seeing as I am technically a 3D virgin, I had to learn how to draw and animate using 3DS Max, a simple program that I picked up surprisingly quick. We had the task of making the word 'Jelly' move in a jelly sort of way. Here's mine:



Not bad for a first timer! It uses keyframes, and having lots of experience with Flash and After Effects really helped with this. I had a bit of time after that, so I did this:



Pardon my French. I particularly like this one as I did it unaided and it looks pretty convincing, obviously lighting is needed and a more tasteful colour scheme too.

I want to try reactor animation next, though. It looks so fun! It's a basic Physics engine that you plug-in to 3DS Max and it automatically works out what goes where when collisions occur.

EXAMPLE TIMEZ:



See? Fun! There's a few tutorials floating about for that so I'll give it a go when I get my sweaty paws on the software for my personal computer.

That be all for now.

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, this looks quite good. Looking forward to doing animation :) not too difficult then?

    ReplyDelete